In world history you cannot mention three countries that produce gemstones greatly without mentioning Tanzania. I will show some cities that shook the world.
1. Mahenge in Morogoro region has been famous since 2007, for production of red and pink spinels with the best quality which resembled with the ones from Burma and Brazil.
2. Tunduru is in the region of Ruvuma, this city began to be known in the early 1990s. By the virtue of great deposits of sapphires, rubies, alexandrites, chrysoberyl. The uniqueness of this city is that, its gemstones are found on the river. In other word known as “alluvial deposits”.
3. Winza is another area in the region of Dodoma also famous in sapphires and rubies, whereby some of their sapphires are bicolored and some are multicolored. That is why most of the rubies from that place if not tested well can be mistaken for a pink sapphire.
4. Mererani is in a Manyara region not far from city of Arusha. It is about 60km distance from Arusha and 20km from Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA). This is a unique area because of the ONLY place where TANZANITES are found in the whole world.
5. Umba or Umba Valley in the Tanga region is also not left behind in the production of sapphires. The uniqueness of the sapphires that found in this area is; they contain different colors like blue, brown, pink, yellow, green, purple, color change and many more.
6. Matombo is another mining ground in the region of Morogoro; this town has become known in recent years around 2010. This town has a very good quality of ruby which can be compared to the ruby from Mozambique. Here to get a ruby weighing from 1-4 gram per piece is not a strange thing. I have been seen several different productions of rubies, but the ones from Matombo have a good quality for sure. They are very clear as much to match with red garnet, and sometimes you may think it’s a synthetic. By the virtue of its good quality, it stands to be unique.
7. Sumbawanga in the Rukwa region is about 1000km from the City of Dar es salaam, is known by its great deposits of Emeralds which can be stand as the quality of Emeralds from Zambia, Brazil and Columbia.
8. Ruangwa in Lindi region is greatly known by the production of Tsavorite garnets, you can’t mention tsavorite garnet without mentioning the town of Ruangwa. Other minerals that can be found in the nearby area of Namungo is gold. Some of gemstones that can be found in this place are rhodolite, color change garnet, hessonite, spessartile, zircon, topaz, apatite, and red garnet.
9. Shinyanga region in general is famous for diamond deposits, is 1500km by road from Dar es salaam. This city has been known for great diamond mining since 1940s up to this time the production continues.